Tuesday 2 May 2017

I don’t think Peter was the only one of the Twelve who knew Christ was the Lord’s Messiah

I don’t think Peter was the only one of the Twelve who knew Christ was the Lord’s Messiah

 He was no doubt a leader among them, however, and he did not hesitate to answer the question. Christ’s response to him is a play on words: “I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church” (Matt. 16:18). The name Peter is the original word petros, meaning “a stone, . . . a large stone, a piece or fragment of a rock such as a man might throw.”
After reconfirming Peter’s Christ-given name, Jesus then said, “On this rock I will build my church.” Stay with me here! In this use of the word rock, the word switches to petra, meaning “a projecting rock, cliff . . . Distinguished from the masculine petros in that petra is a mass of rock while petros is a detached stone or boulder.”

No comments:

Post a Comment