Sunday 26 February 2017

VISITATION

VISITATION

After a task of preparation, notice with me an unexpected visitation. Matthew tells us Jesus came to the Jordan to be baptized by John. “But John tried to deter him, saying, ‘I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?’ Jesus replied, ‘Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.’ Then John consented. And as soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and lighting on him” (Matt. 3:14–16).
Just imagine what was going on in the mind of Christ as He was walking to the river Jordan. I wonder if He stopped to watch the scene for awhile, with the people confessing their sins. Did He watch this mighty servant of God preaching the Word with boldness? I’m just picturing somehow that horizon and His figure overlooking the scene. Then He walks up to the shore, and John sees Him.
I’ve written something that is strictly fiction. I was just reflecting on what might have been going through John’s mind as Jesus approached him. These thoughts came to me. Perhaps they will help us to see these as very real people encountering the Son of God.


No comments:

Post a Comment