Sunday 24 April 2016

IN A DARK HOLE I HAVE FOUND PLEASURE - Algerius of Naples

IN A DARK HOLE I HAVE FOUND PLEASURE - Algerius of Naples  

In a dark hole I have found pleasure;
In a place of bitterness and death, rest and hope of salvation;
In the abyss or depths of hell, joy.
Where others weep, I have laughed.
Where others fear, I have found strength.
Who will believe this?
In a state of misery I have had very great delight.
In a lonely corner I have had most glorious company, and in the severest bond, great rest.
All these things, my fellow brethren in Jesus Christ, the gracious hand of God has given me.
- Algerius of Naples

He comforts me, he fills me with joy, he drives from me bitterness and renews within me strength and sweetness.
He makes me well, he sustains me, he helps me up, he strengthens me.
Oh how good is the Lord, who does not permit his servants to be tempted above what they are able!
Oh how easy and pleasant and sweet is his yoke!
Is there any like God the Most High, who sustains and refreshes those who are tempted?
He heals those who are bruised and wounded and restores them altogether (Isa. 41; 43:20).
None is like him.
Learn, most beloved brothers, how sweet the Lord is, how faithful and merciful, who visits his servants in trial (Isa. 43:2), to be with us in our huts and humble abodes.
He gives us cheerful minds and peaceful hearts.
- Algerius of Naples

No comments:

Post a Comment