Sunday 5 March 2017

5. “To release the oppressed” (v. 18).

5. “To release the oppressed” (v. 18). 

I looked up every definition for oppressed in the Greek and Hebrew dictionaries. A half dozen original words are translated in the Bible with our single word oppressed, and all but one have the word break in the definition. I’m becoming more and more convinced that heavy-duty oppression is Satan’s counterfeit for biblical brokenness.
At times I’ve fought back the tears as I’ve heard testimonies of people who had been utterly unable to function, describing themselves as broken by God. I don’t think God’s brand of brokenness is total emotional wreckage. God’s intent in breaking us is to bend our stiff knees so that we will submit to His authority and take on His yoke. His aim is our abundant and effective life. Being totally unable to function because the mind and emotions are in shambles is Satan’s counterfeit. Praise God, Christ can certainly use Satan’s counterfeit brokenness to bring us to a place of accepting His own, but I think we credit some things to Christ that He doesn’t do.

No comments:

Post a Comment