Friday 3 March 2017

2. “To heal the brokenhearted” (Luke 4:18 KJV).

2. “To heal the brokenhearted” (Luke 4:18 KJV). 

Unless you’re using a King James Version, this phrase probably came from the Isaiah reference. Some New Testament translations include it, while others don’t. Either way, the phrase was in the original job description and is worthy of our consideration. The original word for “brokenhearted” is suntribo, meaning “to break, strike against something . . . to break the strength or power of someone.” The Greek word for “heal” is iaomai, meaning “to heal, cure, restore.” I love the Hebrew word translated “heal” in Exodus 15:26 when God introduced Himself by a new title: “I am the LORD, who heals you.” The word raphah means “to mend (by stitching), repair thoroughly, make whole.” I picture God focusing steadily on the object of repair. One stitch follows another. It takes time. I picture painful penetrations of the healing needle. I don’t know about you, but I’m quite sure if my healing processes had been painless, I would have relapsed.

No comments:

Post a Comment